Posted on 2019-10-10
By SC Broadcasters Association
Alpha Media – Columbia, SC is seeking a results-oriented Chief Engineer with a proven track
record in Broadcast Media. The Chief Engineer will be responsible for maintaining all station
technical operations within FCC regulations while adhering to company policies to ensure world class delivery of content to our local communities.
Alpha Media is one of the fastest growing companies in media today. We have a passion for
great radio and digital content. Our philosophy is to be smaller, faster, bolder, and work as a high functioning, best of class team at all levels. We hire and retain top talent who are unique, innovative and vibrant. We believe in creating progressive products, world class events and building strong relationships in our communities.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, Alpha Media operates across the United States covering all formats.
We are live, local, and can’t wait to talk to you!
The successful candidate will have a proven ability to prioritize work, manage the stress of a high-pressure work environment, and comply with all company procedures and internal controls associated with the assigned duties.
Responsibilities for this position may include:
● Review all technical documents.
● Review and sign station logs on a weekly basis to determine if required entries are being
● Inspect and calibrate the transmission system.
● Monitor metering and control systems.
● Perform equipment performance measurements and any other tests as specified in the
rules or terms of station’s authorization.
● Maintain and repair all technical and electronic equipment at the studio and transmitter
● Maintain station operation through preventative and corrective maintenance.
● Install and perform maintenance on control consoles, audio routers, recording equipment,
microphones, digital audio systems, transmitters, antenna systems, control systems, and
Requirements of this position include the following:
● Associates or technical degree in Broadcasting Engineering Technology or related field
or equivalent level of experience.
● This position requires a minimum of 5 years’ experience in electronic troubleshooting,
including repairs for audio, video, and radio frequency, microwave, equipment and
experience working in satellite communications; with a minimum 5 years’ experience as
Station Assistant Chief Engineer or Staff Engineer.
● Knowledge of all applicable FCC rules and regulations.
● Excellent knowledge of basic electronics theory and principles including Ohm’s law and
ability to read schematics.
● Experience with cluster-wide studio equipment and operations, audio routing, AES and
AoIP protocols, digital audio delivery and automation, EAS, studio telephone and
engineering IT systems, and automated content-delivery systems.
● Ability to work independently to troubleshoot and repair high-power AM and FM
● IT skills including PC/server trouble shooting and repair and knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP,
local area networking, and internet.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven experience interacting
with management and staff at all levels with ability to multi-task and handles pressures
● Excellent problem-solving ability and skill in prioritizing.
● Must possess valid state driver’s license and provide required driving record and proof of
● Ability to lift and/or move loads up to 75 pounds, with the ability to climb ladders and
work on elevated surfaces.
● Ability to be on call at all times for afterhours emergencies or routine maintenance as the
Preference may be given to candidates who have the above experience plus the following:
● Experience with WideOrbit Automation for Radio.
● Experience with Axia AoIP
● Experience with Directional AM Systems.
● Knowledge of telephone systems and cellular.
● Experience as a Team Leader/Supervisor.
● SBE, Microsoft, and CompTIA Certifications .
● Ability to lift and/or move loads up to 75 lbs.
● Ability to climb ladders and work on elevated surfaces.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you feel you are a qualified candidate and want to join a fast moving, growing entity submit
your cover letter and resume ASAP at www.alphamediausa.com/careers/openings/.
Job posted by an Equal Opportunity Employer