Master Control Operator
Posted on 2019-04-12
By KOB-TV Hubbard Broadcasting
This position is responsible for the accurate delivery of all on-air programming for KOB, KOBF, KOBR, KOBC, CometTV, ThisTV, Reelz Channel, and their associated channel streams; operation of master control system and remote transmission relays and backup power sources; monitoring and ensuring FCC compliance of all broadcasts and their associated logs; maintaining accurate program, promo and commercial content; setup, scheduling and recording of news and programming uplinks, feeds and file delivery.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Constantly monitor and maintain on air-accuracy of all programming, promos, and commercials for KOB, KOBF, KOBR, KOBC, CometTV, ThisTV, Reelz Channel, and their associated channel streams and delivery systems.
- Ensure the timely and accurate switching of all audio, video and data signals switched through Master Control; correctly operate all technical equipment used in Master Control; communicate to maintenance/engineering staff any technical problems with equipment; share information with the next shift on technical difficulties or unresolved issues with programming or equipment.
- Must be familiar with all varieties of video formats, codecs, and digital recording equipment.
- Experience with television news and traffic operations, working knowledge of ENG/SNG equipment a plus.
- Familiarity with signal routing, distribution, and master control equipment helpful.
- Responsible for the acquisition and distribution (A&D) of programs and commercials for air.
- Operate all A&D equipment with proficiency; tune and record satellite feeds for news and operations; uplink satellites; operate routers, microwave, bonded cellular and satellite receiving equipment; tune in all live shots for newscasts via microwave, bonded cellular and satellite receivers.
- Operate computers to FTP material to and from HBI properties as well as from the public as necessary.
- Ingest and record programs, news, station promotion and commercial content from Pathfire, DG, satellite or other video sources into the server.
- Time programs as needed.
- Operate all recording and playback equipment with proficiency. Handle playback of all sources used during news programming or production sessions accurately and timely--includes loading, cueing, reloading, recuing, playing, recording and or changing any source as requested by director in advance of or during air time. Ensure playback sources are properly adjusted to provide optimum output. Record air checks. Dub air checks to DVD or other archive.
- Is prepared for unexpected changes and problems with network and local programming and is ready to respond in a crisis or breaking news.
- Accurately maintain and complete all logs and other records related to each Master Control shift.
- Works closely with news and production departments during every newscast.
- Edit all necessary playlists through conclusion of shift and into the next shift.
- Seek out ways to expand current skills and abilities; take initiative to learn new tasks, duties, technology and equipment. Offer ideas that would enhance or improve the way work is done.
- Previous broadcast experience in master control with multi-channel operations preferred. Understand broadcast techniques and language and can demonstrate proficiency in use of equipment, techniques and language.
- Strong communication skills in person, in writing, and over the phone; is able to read, write, and speak English well. Working knowledge of computer software and hardware, including Microsoft Office.
- Must possess exceptional interpersonal skills, working in a team environment with news, production, sales staff and station production personnel.
- Knowledge of FCC broadcasting requirements and guidelines.
- Interface with other station personnel and departments as necessary
- High school diploma, recent on-the-job experience or 4 year degree.
- Must be flexible and able to deal with unexpected changes calmly. Ability to work well under pressure while multi-tasking to meet tight deadlines (planned or unplanned) and stressful situations.
- Follow directions and instructions well and offer solutions or ideas.
- Strong team player. Work well with others. Foster a spirit of cooperation and helpfulness.
- Ability to problem solve and multi-task with minimum supervision
- Must be able to work various hours including nights, weekends, and holidays. Schedules may vary.
- Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to lift, carry, and move up to 20 lbs occasionally. Position may require stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. The worker is required to have adequate visual acuity (including color, depth perception, and field vision) to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing, viewing multiple computer terminals and video monitors (in a dedicated variety of sizes and configurations), analyzing monitors and screens for specific and often small information with accuracy. Must be able to work in areas and conditions that can be noisy, confining, and have many distractions. Listens to and responds verbally in English to others. Must have manual dexterity to operate all equipment including video tape machines, video servers, routing panels/patch panels, and computer interfaces. Must be able to move quickly at times throughout work area. Stands and sits for long periods of time. Work under tight deadlines and in pressure situations yet remain organized. The Company will make reasonable physical accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
HOW TO APPLY:
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Job posted by an Equal Opportunity Employer