Specialty Producer, JR020501
Posted on 2019-03-18
KNXV ABC15, The Scripps ABC affiliate located in Phoenix, is looking for a Specialty Producer. A candidate that is creative, multi-talented journalist to help build our Investigative and Enterprise brands across multiple platforms. The right candidate will help juggle the logistics of running a 17-person team dedicated to producing “A Block” material for our key newscasts; material that cannot be seen anywhere else. But that’s not all. The right candidate will have a keen sense of news judgement and will demonstrate an awareness on how to shape our storytelling to most effectively speak to our key audience targets.
While this is a planning position, you will be expected, at times, to set-up and produce stories, and conduct interviews. You may also be called upon to produce shows from time to time, so line producing experience is a major plus. Previous MMJs, with producing experience, who can shoot and edit are also a plus. If you are interested in testing your skills and growing them alongside nationally recognized journalists, this is the job for you. Please include links to your work on your resume for review.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of local and national media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs a collection of national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Stitcher; the fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff; and Triton, the global leader in digital audio technology and measurement services. Scripps produces original programming including “Pickler & Ben,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
- Find, vet, research, and help develop ideas into compelling stories.
- Help with logistics of scheduling shoots and edit times to make sure stories are completed on time.
- Conduct interviews.
- Write compelling news packages about a variety of topics.
- Show produce (as needed).
Education & Experience/Certifications
- 3+ years’ experience in local news producing, investigative background preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to find, develop and keep sources for stories.
- Troubleshoot and resolve logistical issues.
- Strong, creative writing skills (Broadcast & AP).
- Courage to ask tough questions and hold those with power accountable.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Computer literacy required, with a preference for newsroom computer systems.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Show producing experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please visit us at our External Career Center: https://scripps.com/careers and search for Job Requisition 020501.
Job posted by an Equal Opportunity Employer