Multi-platform Content Producer
Posted on 2019-03-01
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
Purpose of Position: To work in collaboration with the editorial team for the production of timely and engaging multi-platform content for distribution to KTVA’s broadcast and on-line audience. Responsible for planning, coordinating and collaborating with the team to manage logistics of daily coverage to include collecting information from multiple sources and assigning staff to produce content for distribution that will engage our audience. Continuously refine content guidelines and enforce journalistic standards.
Position’s Customer(s): KTVA reporters, KTVA viewers
Essential Duties of Position:
- Works closely with the editorial management team and content producers throughout the day as news develops
- Prepare daily coverage plan and future coverage plans
- Prepare for morning editorial and coaching meeting
- Responsible for afternoon news meeting
- Responsible for afternoon editorial team meeting
- Responsible for maintaining newsroom schedule, to include a weekly collaboration meeting
- Coordinate coverage requests from producers and newsroom managers
- Assign stories throughout the day to include being the primary person to manage newsroom email.
- Responsible for newsroom logistics include resource management, updating the assignment board and inputting stories into daily and future planner and communicating live shots to reporters, photographers, engineering and operations crew
- Colloborate with editorial management team for special event coverage
- Generate story ideas through beat calls, social media, wires, websites and contacts throughout the state
- Work with field crews to proactively respond to breaking news for broadcast and digital platforms
- Oversee all story checks, follow-ups and assignments are pursued and communicated
- Coordinate and fulfill requests with CBS Newspath and CNN Newsource
- Closely collaborate with the team to ensure needs are planned for, executed, and maintained to a high degree of accuracy and quality;
- Coordinate with the other teams as necessary to ensure content on various features are updated in time for planned events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong technical and management skills required with the ability to see the big picture and strategize.
- Must be willing to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Excellent newspaper-style reporting and writing skills are required.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Attention to detail required
- Demonstrated knowledge of station guidelines and code of ethics
- Must be technically astute, highly organized and have a reputation for meeting deadlines
- Knowledge of AP ENPS newsroom computer system
- Knowledge of MS Office and other common office tools software required
- Ability to understand and quickly apply new technology
- Strong verbal communication skills, particularly in the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization and the public
- Must be able to reconcile divergent demands of multiple parties under tight timelines
- Proven ability to collaborate within and outside assigned department and create an effective working environment for high traffic and/or potential stressful workloads
- Excellent active listening skills with the ability to work effectively with technical and non-technical staff required
- Must be self-directed and take the initiative regarding issues affecting the organization
- Neat, clean, professional appearance when in the field
Years of Experience required to meet minimum qualifications: Three or more years’ experience as a print, online, or broadcast journalist required.
Level of Education required to meet minimum qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor Degree in journalism or related field required. In addition to minimum experience required, a combination of relevant work and/or education may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
Certifications Required: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and can contribute toward education.
Position reports to: Assistant News Director
Physical Requirements: Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Hearing, vision, depth perception, and hand-to-eye coordination sufficient to perform job duties. Visual and auditory acuity necessary to operate equipment and identify color-coding.
Working Conditions: Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays as needed. The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. As such, you will be requested to provide emergency after hours contact numbers, to include your home and cell phone numbers if you have those services.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and a satisfactory driving record.
HOW TO APPLY:
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.
Please apply at: http://www.gci.com/about/careers Job #19000118
Job posted by an Equal Opportunity Employer