KSL TV Photographer (On-Call)
Posted on 2019-02-18
By KSL Broadcast Group KSL Broadcast Group
Salt Lake City, UT
Who we are: Bonneville International has been a leader in broadcasting for over 50 years, with a mission to build up, connect, inform and celebrate communities and families across our markets. We currently own and operate 14 radio stations in Seattle, Phoenix, Denver and Salt Lake City, along with the NBC Affiliate TV station, KSL TV 5, in Salt Lake. Were proud of our history, and we want talented people to join us as we continue to grow!
Position: KSL TV is looking for a talented storytelling photojournalist to join our staff. We are searching for someone who can tell creative character driven stories in both long form and deadline environments.
Essential Functions and Key Responsibilities:
- Capture and edit news events and features as assigned by the assignment desk
- Gather information and convert it into appropriate visual, written, audio and/or digital formats as assigned
- Drive to and from news events in a timely and safe manner
- Correctly operate and maintain all ENG camera/deck and other assigned gear
- Edit news stories in a compelling, interesting way
- If needed, monitor public safety scanners, make phone calls to public safety departments and travel to scenes of KSL news interest
- At events of news interest, gather information, shoot video, communicate with producers and editors to effectively present events
- Adhere to NPAA photography principles
- Maintain communication with the station, alerting the desk by radio or phone of any story or personal status change that may affect the assignment
- Willing and able to perform on-call and back-up on-call duties on a rotating basis.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Two (2) years post high school education in communications, journalism or related field, or equivalent
- Five (5) years previous commercial experience as a video photographer/editor, or equivalent
- A sense of news value and ability to display creative abilities in photojournalism and video editing techniques. Audition tape may be required
- Ability to communicate a story visually through either video or still photography
- Ability to write basic caption information
- Show an extended knowledge of technical abilities of photojournalism and storytelling
- Ability to edit news stories in a professional and expedient manner. KSL guidelines suggest being able to edit a PACKAGE in 40 minutes, a NAT-SOT in 15 minutes, and a NAT in 10 minutes.
- Valid driver license and proven ability to safely drive company or personal vehicle without exposing company to serious liability risks
- Self-starter, dependable, and capable of performing under pressure particularly when unanticipated problems or unscheduled assignments arise
- Show initiative and innovation in problem solving in all aspects of news production with moderate amount of supervision
- Proven ability to handle stress
- Work effectively in team environment
- Prefer experience in TV News, documentary production, or equivalent
- Receive, process, and maintain information through oral and/or written communication effectively
- Substantial physical movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Ability to extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction with good eye and hand coordination
- Good vision and hand coordination
- Lift, move, and carry equipment that weigh 50-60 lbs. Able and willing to carry equipment for whatever distance is necessary to completely cover the event.
HOW TO APPLY:
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
Job posted by an Equal Opportunity Employer