Assignment Desk Editor
Posted on 2019-02-18
By KSL Broadcast Group KSL Broadcast Group
Salt Lake City, UT
Bonneville International has been a leader in broadcasting for over 50 years, with a mission to build up, connect, inform and celebrate communities and families across our markets. We currently own and operate 22 radio stations in Seattle, Phoenix, Denver, Sacramento, San Francisco and Salt Lake City, along with the NBC Affiliate TV station, KSL TV 5, in Salt Lake. Were proud of our history, and we want talented people to join us as we continue to grow!
We are seeking a full-time Assignment Desk Editor for our multi-platform newsroom. The DMC (Deseret Management Corporation) combined newsroom is a 24-hour provider of news and information represented by KSL-TV, KSL Radio, Deseret News, KSL.com and DeseretNews.com. The Assignment Desk Editor will gather, disperse and coordinate coverage of news across all of the DMC platforms and act as the central hub of the newsroom for gathering and providing information and details.
- Plan and coordinate daily assignments and breaking news coverage for reporters, photographers, freelance personnel, etc. across all platforms
- Coordinate the gathering and dissemination of pertinent information among reporters, photographers and other staff members
- Set up and plan long-term coverage, including coordination across platforms
- Respond quickly and efficiently to breaking news
- Monitor websites, social media, police and fire scanners and other breaking news alerts
- Work with platform managers and producers to develop content and information
- Communicate coverage wants and needs with all platform managers and field crews
- Make beat calls to sources and agencies and gather information from public agencies
- Maintain records and update stories on Dash
- Interact with and serve all platforms in a professional manner
- Perform other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a newsroom environment, preferably at assignment desk, with background in journalism and/or communications.
- Possess excellent oral, written, presentation and interpersonal skills. High level of ability to articulate and communicate clearly with other people.
- Assertive and capable of making decisions quickly while effectively communicating those decisions to others and maintaining a level of confidence under scrutiny.
- High level of organization, with ability to prioritize and manage time and tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Interest in and knowledge of local news issues.
- Ability to work with moderate supervision, confidential information and be a self-starter.
- Capable and willing to resolve unexpected problems and be flexible to perform unscheduled assignments.
- A high level of proficiency with computers, software and new technologies.
- Highly familiar with the benefits and shortcomings of all types of media including, but not limited to, "heritage" media as well as all types of current and emerging social and digital media.
- Receive, process, and maintain information through oral and/or written communication effectively.
- Substantial physical movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Ability to extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction with good eye and hand coordination.
- Lift, move, and carry up to 20 pounds on occasion.
Bonneville is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Minority/female/disabilityPWDNET/veteran are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
Job posted by an Equal Opportunity Employer