DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING
Posted on 2017-03-17
By WFXT Fox25 Cox Media Group
The Director of Engineering’s main responsibilities are to protect the license and keep the stations functioning. This person will be responsible for maintaining the transmitters, their property, and their support equipment, i.e.; HVAC, generators and large building UPS systems, building plumbing and lighting, and property maintenance. At the studio the Director of Engineering oversees the master control operation that includes the playback automation system, the storage for all programs and commercial spots and maintains a relationship between master control, News, Traffic and Sales. For news all studio equipment; camera switchers, graphics, ENG and the set and lighting. For IT responsibilities are the maintenance and replacement of all computers and servers, updating software, virus control, all network communication internal and external to the plant.
- Manage and maintain complex integrated systems with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations, applicable electrical, mechanical, structural and civil engineering methods is required
- Practical knowledge of electrical, plumbing, HVAC and basic construction techniques helpful
- Maintenance and repair of all technical equipment in studio and transmitter
- acilities/towers, satellite downlink and microwave transmission systems
- Design, planning, budgeting and construction of new engineering projects to keep the station reliably on the air and competitive in the market
- Development, preparation, timely submission for approval and implementation of capital budges/projects
- Tracking purchase orders within each project to operate within budget
- Create, maintain and forecast monthly operating expenses and provide detail information as needed
- Preparation and timely delivery of required status information and reports
- Must be able to troubleshoot, diagnose and handle the tools necessary to repair studio/post production equipment
- Must be able to effectively present information and respond to question from managers, clients, customers and general public
- Must have solid working knowledge of PC and Apple computers, MS Windows, OSX and related software
- Must have solid working knowledge of PCs, networks, routers, MS operating systems and application software such as Word and Excel
- Traffic systems such as Wide Orbit and OSI
ATTRIBUTES FOR THE POSITION:
Proven experience in managing on-air operations in a leadership role including equipment, budget, personnel and technology systems management in digital newsroom and production environments as well as field operations.
The ability to communicate and implement excellent customer service is a must. Must be able to articulate clearly across various skill-set audiences and management levels. Demonstrated proficiencies in idea generation and generating and presenting various reports and presentations across multiple disciplines and management levels.
Must have a mature sense of judgment and priority.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A) from four-year college or university and 5-10 years of experience managing an Engineering department
- Must be highly proficient in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Outlook
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Can easily identify priority items and complete in a fast-paced deadline driven environment
- Must possess positive customer service attitude with both internal and external contacts; flexible, patient, courteous, professional and problem solver
- SBE certifications are a plus
- Experience in multiple, mid or major-market television stations is a plus
HOW TO APPLY:
CoxMedia Group (CMG) is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that also includes the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company’s operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations; more than 60 radio stations; six daily newspapers, more than a dozen non-daily publications; and more than 100 digital sites and services, like Rare.us, Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, and All22. CMGcurrentlyoperatesinmorethan 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 31 million TV viewers, more than 3.5 million newspaper readers, and nearly 15 million radio listeners. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Job posted by an Equal Opportunity Employer