KBBI-AM, Content Director
Posted on 2016-04-25
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
The Content Director is responsible for overseeing all locally produced content across all broadcast and non-broadcast platforms, including web and social media. This includes supervising all paid, and volunteer, on-air and production staff in the programming area.
The Content Director needs to have experience and knowledge in all areas of programming, including, but not limited to, public affairs, news, and music, as well as web and social media. They also need to have experience with traffic and automation programming, as they are the first point of contact for any off-air issues.
Reports to: General Manager. Supervises: Program Assistant, Weekend Host, On-Air Volunteer Staff. Classification: Regular Full-Time, Exempt. Salary range: DOE. As part of the total compensation package, benefits include health insurance, paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave. About Homer
Known as "the halibut fishing capital of the world," Homer is located on beautiful Kachemak Bay, and is connected by road and air to Anchorage, 225 miles north along the Kenai Peninsula. Recreational activities include wildlife viewing, kayaking, sport fishing, hiking, and skiing. Homer offers a lively arts and music community, as well as many fine restaurants, a brewery, coffee roasters, and lots of friendly people. Education opportunities include an outstanding public school system, along with a branch campus of Kenai Peninsula College, which is part of the University of Alaska Anchorage. The community also offers excellent healthcare providers and facilities, including South Peninsula Hospital.
1. Develops on-air programs and schedules that meet mission-driven goals and achieve balance between non-local and locally produced programs.
2. Oversees operation of the automation system and Content Depot, including programming and troubleshooting, and operations of the Emergency Alert System.
3. Produces Enhanced PSAs, underwriting announcements, station promos and music beds. Updates on a regular basis.
4. Leads the programming end of on-air membership drives by planning, scheduling programming, producing fundraising modules, scheduling pitch breaks, and pitches on-air as necessary.
5. Train volunteers for on-air shifts, update training materials, and recognize volunteers at designated public or in-house functions.
6. Assists in developing and analyzing audience research.
7. KBBI Community Advisory Board (CAB) liaison. Attends meetings and reports on station initiatives
8. Ensures KBBI public files relating to programming issues are current and complete.
9. Provides reports for scheduled CAB Board of Directors meetings
10. When asked, makes presentations about KBBI programming to groups in public.
11. Ensures that program logs, operating logs, EAS and transmitter logs are current. Supervises Program Department personnel. Evaluates paid on-air staff at least once a year; performs air-check sessions at least twice a year.
12. Other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
Excellent communication, language and people skills.
Experience with Content Depot, and other public radio satellite program distribution systems
Audio production experience
Knowledge of Program automation
Know of Traffic/scheduling software
Familiarity with MS Office
On-air hosting experience
Experience with web site and social media management
Highly developed sense of organization and sense of community.
Knowledge of FCC rules governing noncommercial radio programming.
Attention to detail.
Experience with Adobe Audition
Experience with Media Touch automation software
Experience with Allegiance traffic scheduling software
Experience with News/Public Affairs programming
Experience in trouble shooting broadcast equipment
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, references and 3 samples of on-air work to: Terry Rensel, KBBI General Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail your documents to 3913 Kachemak Way, Homer, AK 99603. KBBI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.