Director of Finance
Posted on 2016-03-22
By Michigan Radio
Ann Arbor, MI
Michigan Public Media (MPM) seeks a full-time Director of Finance for its headquarters in Ann Arbor to provide strategic level financial leadership for its multi-market statewide public radio group known as Michigan Radio, Your NPR News Station.
The Director of Finance will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Executive Director. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, and administration. The Director of Finance will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and managing operations as Michigan Radio continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity.
This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization. The Director of Finance plays an important role in the overall management of MPM, which has an annual budget of over $ 7.5 million and 61 full and part-time employees. Salary to commensurate with experience.
The Director of Finance is responsible for all financial, accounting, internal audit, and human resource functions of Michigan Radio. The Director of Finance would direct the organizationís financial planning and accounting practices; manage the development, monitoring, and presentation of budgets; supervise the organizationís finance and reception staff; coordinate annual audits with the Office of University Audits and the outside public accounting firm for financial statements; manage donor gift, corporate and grant funds; supervise all aspects of financial compliance for federal funded programs: Corporation Public Broadcasting (CPB), Community Service Grant (CSG), Annual Financial Report (AFR), Station Activity Survey (SAS); supervise all aspects of human resources compliance for radio operations, including Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) filings for Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and CPB policy; and provide general leadership in the areas of accounting, finance, and general business matters. In addition to guidance and support in assisting the department heads with the development and monitoring of the annual budget, the Director of Finance assists both the department heads and executive staff team with strategic planning, financial analysis and advice.
- Minimum of a B.A., ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
- 10 or more years of relevant experience of senior level financial and accounting; ideally 6+ years of broad financial and operations management experience
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, preparation of financial statements in accordance with Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) standards, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
- Ability to translate financial concepts to effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who may not necessarily have a finance background
- A proven track record in grants management
- Experience and proven ability with accounting systems and databases; knowledge of MPathways and Wolverine Access is a plus
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Michigan Radio
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online through the University of Michigan employment website. Go to http://www.umjobs.org and click on Job Search. Search for Job ID #123011. You can also access this information at: http://michiganradio.org
No phone calls, emailed or faxed resumes will be accepted.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.