On-Air Announcer/Board Operator
Posted on 2016-01-20
By NHPR New Hampshire Public Radio, Inc.
The On-air Announcer/Board Operator presents seamless, flawless execution of network programming, ensuring outstanding presentation to NHPR`s listeners. He or she operates the broadcast equipment; puts programming on the air; reads live announcements throughout the shift; writes, edits and reads newscasts each hour; produces voice-tracking for automated shifts; takes transmitter readings; and responds to non-routine and emergency situations. The On-air Announcer/Board Operator signs on to the operations and transmission log as the operator on duty and is bound by law to carry out the tasks and responsibilities set forth by the FCC.
New Hampshire Public Radio is an award-winning station that delivers news, information, analysis, arts and entertainment programming to more than 178,000 weekly listeners across the state and region. New Hampshire Public Radio`s mission is to help create a more informed public, one challenged and enriched by a deeper understanding and appreciation of state, national and worldwide events, ideas and culture.
- Effectively operate board during assigned broadcast shifts and provide flawless execution of programming.
- Write, edit and deliver hourly newscasts.
- Deliver underwriting announcements, weather forecasts, forward promotion copy and other information essential to the listening audience live on the air.
- Monitor broadcast equipment and transmission for proper functioning and alert appropriate individuals when needed.
- Monitor Emergency Activation Alert system and deliver alerts as needed.
- Attend regular air-check sessions with Program Director to review and improve on-air performance.
- Participate in on-air fundraising and sponsorship activities as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of one year of experience operating a broadcast console and/or audio equipment at a Public or Commercial Radio Station in the last 5 years.
- Good announcing skills and ability to correctly pronounce a variety of local and foreign words.
- Excellent board operation skills and ability to deliver seamless presentation with national programming.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, good news judgment and the ability to edit newscast copy from a variety of outside sources.
- Demonstrated news judgment and clear understanding of journalistic ethics and practices.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to remain poised and composed when problems arise.
- Demonstrated radio editing and production skills and some experience in producing and/or editing digital media.
- Proficient in broadcast automation systems, such as Audio Vault, News gathering software systems such as News Boss and digital editing software, such as Adobe Audition.
- Working knowledge of New Hampshire issues desirable.
- Knowledge of relevant FCC rules and regulations.
- B.A. in relevant field or equivalent experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email a short recent sample of your on air announcing work (MP3 file or link) to dColgan@nhpr.org.