Posted on 2014-12-08
By KVOW, KTAK, KDNO, KFCW, KWYW. Wind River Radio Network
The News Director supervises all news programming and personnel and establishes policies for standards and practices within the news and operations department. Provides long-term strategic vision for the News department and protects the journalist integrity of the station.
- Supervise news coverage and the production of newscasts and special news programming
- Set and disseminate standards and expectations for news employees
- Work in conjunction with other department managers to accomplish overall station mission and goals.
- Review daily newscasts for ensure quality control and well-balanced newscasts
- Oversee the planning for news coverage
- Prepare and control news budget for operating and capital expenditures
- Create and implement strategic plans for audience growth
- Analyze and respond to trends affecting industry and DMA
- Take a lead role in research and marketing strategy,
- Build and maintain key relationships to foster a positive news image within the community
- Approve all newsroom and operations personnel decisions
- Responsible for building, training and empowering an effective newsroom management team and staff
- Perform performance reviews for direct reports
- Responsible for effectively communicating departmental goals and plans, and ensures those plans are carried out by staff
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Protect and defend journalist integrity of the news product.
- Effectively promote and execute collaborate efforts between other Schurz properties
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
- 7+ years experience working in a newsroom
- Firsthand experience performing many of the positions that a News Director supervises
- Proficient in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Additional computer skills a plus
- Ability to write and edit for conversational news delivery
- Demonstrated ability to coach for excellent performance
- Strong knowledge of current events
- Strong knowledge of standards of journalism
- Ability to communicate clearly to employees and to the general public
- Broad knowledge of newsroom operations and equipment
- Working knowledge of journalistic ethics, libel and privacy laws
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced deadline driven environment
- Ability to plan and maintain operational budget
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Strong leadership skills; addresses conflicts quickly and directly, and encourages open dialogue
- Ability to adapt to current and emerging technology
- Must have strong problem-solving skills
- Must have good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Strong initiative and attention to detail required
- Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment
- Must be willing to work flexible hours
- Ability to get along with others and communicate effectively with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to represent the station in public in a positive and professional manner.
- Bachelor’s degree
- *Or equivalent work experience
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
- Duties are performed indoors in an office environment as well as in the field.
- Sitting for long periods of time is required
- Employee will be exposed to atmospheric conditions
- Ability to lift and carry 10 – 25 lbs. for short distances
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, hear, use hands and fingers, reach, grab, handle or feel, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. Regularly sit, talk, and hear.
- Work regular 40-hour work week. Some nights, weekends and holidays may be required.
If unable to upload electronically, please mail examples of your work to the following address:
Rushmore Media Company, Inc.
1523 1st Ave
City: Scottsbluff, Nebraska 69361