KTUU-TV P/T Weekend Meteorologist
Posted on 2014-09-11
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
KTUU, an award-winning station in Anchorage, Alaska, is seeking a part-time Weekend Meteorologist, working approximately 20 hours per week. The successful candidate will produce and deliver on-site weathercasts and make live reports from the field in order to convey a daily weather story. In severe weather situations, the Meteorologist will convey and concisely present information and graphics to help viewers protect their lives and property.
We`re seeking someone with 1-3 years` experience on-air as a television meteorologist preferred (reporting experience is a plus). Basic experience with both weather and newsroom computer systems (ENPS, I-News) is required. This individual will prepare and deliver daily weather forecasts using weather date and computers. Experience with weather computer systems (Weather Central 3D:LIVE, ESP:LIVE, LIVE:WIRE, Microcast, Metworks, X-Vision, DCE, Weather Webcaster, Livestream, and NWS Chat) is necessary. Editing experience is a plus; candidates with limited experience must be willing to learn how to edit. A college degree is required, preferably in meteorology or broadcast journalism. A valid driver`s license, with a good driving record, is also required. The position offers a competitive hourly wage and benefit package that includes paid time off, 401(k) and more. KTUU is owned by a wonderful parent company, Schurz Communications, Inc., which owns television, radio, cable and newspaper properties throughout the country. Additional information on Schurz is available at www.schurz.com, and via the following video link: http://youtu.be/7OuMd2ikx7k
- Prepare and deliver weather over several platforms, including social media.
- Responsible for developing all weather forecasts and accompanying computer graphics, delivering on-air weathercasts and live weather reports from the field.
- Live 'on-the-scene' reporting, especially during breaking news and severe weather.
- Effectively communicate information regarding severe weather coverage in a clear and concise graphic presentation.
- Provide weather forecasts for partnering radio stations and/or newspapers.
- Communicate critical weather information, especially during severe weather, to producers and other critical staff members to ensure a consistent and accurate message to viewers.
- Work with the News Director to develop overall strategy in line with the department and station.
- Follow clothing and appearance guidelines.
- Attend/host/speak at community services, schools and community events; meet and greet viewers.
- Ensure public appearances in schools and community events are consistent with image and goals of station.
- Participate in story selection process through meetings; attendance at editorial meetings.
- Must be able to enterprise and field report relevant stories for newscasts under tight deadlines.
- Various shift work will be required. Work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Perform other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
- Write and edit packages.
- Report research-based stories.
- Develop and maintain sources.
- Use non-linear editing equipment on a daily basis.
Essential Skills & Abilities:
- Be able to speak and write clearly and accurately.
- Be able to work well under pressure.
- Ability to maintain professional and ethical conduct at the station and in the community.
- Willingness to be a hard-working staff member and work as part of a team.
- Excellent live reporting skills and strong on-camera presentation skills.
- Strong initiative and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with limited supervision is a must.
- Must possess excellent interview and conversational reading and writing skills.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving in a manner that will work well with co-workers, supervisors and viewers.
- Knowledge of social media outlets and website postings (website and digital/mobile platforms).
- Ability to keep up with national and local news/weather.
- Experience storm chasing is a plus.
- Use graphics to convey weather information to audience.
- Analyze weather patterns into current and forecast information.
- Enterprise local hard-news stories.
- At least one seal (AMS/NWS) is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please visit the following web site: www.schurz.jobs and search Requisition Number KTUU2091 to learn more about the position and apply. NORTHERN LIGHTS MEDIA, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Offers of employment are contingent upon a pre-employment background check.