Posted on 2014-03-12
By KWCH and KSCW Schurz Communications Inc.
Sunflower Broadcasting, Wichita, KS (DMA)
Are you the kind of sports journalist who knows all the coaches, and pops into practices, always looking for that little tidbit that will lead to a big sports story?
Are you the one the beat writers love to hate, because you’re breaking more stories online than they are?
Are you always looking for new ways to tell great stories on-air and online?
You might be just the person KWCH-TV is looking for to join one of the largest local sports staffs in the country. We need it. We cover sports at schools over six hours from Wichita. High school, college, pro. Football, baseball, basketball, track, swimming, wrestling, bowling, and then some. We cover it all.
We are on the hunt for a sports multi-media journalist who consistently goes above and beyond the competition in his/her market to win the big story of the day, and get the great feature that will have everyone talking.
The successful candidate will have a knack for finding interesting stories and being the first in the market to report them. You should also think online and social media first, as in using social media to break news, get contacts, and great first-in-market stories.
This is a tremendous opportunity, with a competitive wage and complete benefit package, including group health & dental, 401(k), PTO and more. KWCH is owned by a wonderful parent company, Schurz Communications, which is headquartered in Mishawaka, IN. More information on Schurz is available at www.schurz.com, and via this YouTube link.
- Gather and provide news and information in the most accurate, appealing, timely and creative way
- Use writing skills for on-air and on-line
- Write and post web site stories prior to airing of the television version
- Demonstrate sound news judgment and ability to tell stories with pictures and natural sound
- Able to utilize non-linear editing equipment on a daily basis
- Must be a visual story-teller and have the ability to come up with creative stand-ups and ways to explain a story
- Able to cover live sporting events
- Develop and maintain sources
- Participate in story selection process through meetings; attendance at editorial meetings is required
- Attend/host/speak at community service, schools and community events; meet and greet viewers
- Various shift work will be required, as will holiday work
- Critique, feedback and training are part of the job
- Follow clothing and appearance guidelines
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Prior experience with cameras and/or editing is a plus, and a degree in Journalism or a related field is required.
Essential Skills & Abilities:
- Be able to write clearly and accurately
- Must possess excellent interview and conversational writing skills
- Compelling story-teller
- Shooting and editing experience
- Able to create personalized stories
- Comprehensive understanding of sports and knowledge of sports news and athletes
- Ability to generate daily and enterprise story ideas
- Able to produce and post content to our websites
- Able to use social media outlets to engage viewers
- Must be able to work well under pressure and with limited supervision
- Strong initiative and attention to detail is required
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving in a manner that will mesh well with co-workers, supervisors and viewers
- Must hold a valid driver`s license and a good driving record
Prior experience with cameras and/or editing is a plus, and a degree in Journalism or a related field is required.
This individual must be able to tolerate wet, hot and cold weather conditions, and be able to walk and stand for extended periods while carrying equipment. The job requires a significant amount of kneeling, crouching, and stooping.
2-3 years of reporting experience is a must. So is a background of creative live storytelling, and solid anchoring skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please visit the following web site: www.schurz.jobs and search Requisition Number SUN1809 to learn more about the position and apply.