KTVA-TV, Manager, Digital Content
Posted on 2014-01-29
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
Manager, Digital Content-Requisition #3140.
- Purpose of Position: Will primarily be responsible for execution of digital content strategy, project management, website management and video encoding activities. Have significant contact with project consultants, vendors, content suppliers and other public media organization staff. Oversee and contribute to KTVA 11 digital presence.
- Position`s Customer(s):KTVA reporters, KTVA viewers.
- Reporting Relationships: Position reports to: Assistant News Director.
- Number of Direct Reports (if applicable): Three.
- EEO: Responsible for fair and equitable treatment of people in the workplace.
- Disclaimer: The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, and responsibilities required of employees assigned to this job.
Essential Duties of Position:
- 60% Oversee web editors in gathering information and generating original content for KTVA.com; Assist reporters in writing news copy for KTVA.com; copy edit news stories from reporters and web editors and post to KTVA.com in a professional, compelling, creative and balanced manner, consistent with the ethics, goals and guidelines of Denali Media. Ensure editors maintain a vibrant, informative and conversant social media presence on KTVA`s social media platforms.
- 20% Participate in editorial meeting to determine digital opportunities and contribute possible story ideas.
- 20% Responsible for hiring, leading, developing and managing the performance by those reporting to this position; establishes and communicates clear performance expectations; and makes recommendations for salary increases. Provides timely, accurate and thorough Performance Reviews for supervised employees and recommends and/or approves promotions, demotions, transfers or disciplinary actions up to an including termination. Responsible for web team results.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong technical and management skills required with the ability to see the big picture and strategize.
- Ability to quickly learn intuitive content management software for posting stories to KTVA.com.
- Excellent newspaper-style reporting and writing skills are required.
- Ability to turn stories, particularly breaking news, and post them to the web in optimal form as soon as possible without sacrificing accuracy.
- Ability to use social media outlets for story and station promotion and public interaction.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of station guidelines and code of ethics.
- Must be technically astute, highly organized and have a reputation for meeting deadlines. Technical:
- Knowledge of AP ENPS newsroom computer system.
- Ability to learn intuitive proprietary video-clipping software for upload to website.
- Knowledge of MS Office and other common office tools software required.
- Ability to understand and quickly apply new technology.
- Knowledge of Photoshop and other graphics software tools.
- Knowledge of Hootsuite, Woobox, and other social media applications for optimal social media presence. People Skills:
- Strong verbal communication skills, particularly in the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization and the public
- Must be able to reconcile divergent demands of multiple parties under tight timelines.
- Proven ability to collaborate within and outside assigned department and create an effective working environment for high traffic and/or potential stressful workloads.
- Excellent active listening skills with the ability to work effectively with technical and non-technical staff required.
- Must be self-directed and take the initiative regarding issues affecting the organization.
- Neat, clean, professional appearance when in the field. Years of Experience required to meet minimum qualifications: Three or more years` experience as a print, online, or broadcast journalist required. At least one year of supervisory experience required. Level of Education required to meet minimum qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor Degree in journalism or related field required. In addition to minimum experience required, degree may be substituted with relevant work experience on a year for year basis. Physical Requirements: Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Hearing, vision, depth perception, and hand-to-eye coordination sufficient to perform job duties. Visual and auditory acuity necessary to operate equipment and identify color-coding. Working Conditions: Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays as needed. Driving Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid driver`s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record, etc.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply go to: www.gci.com/careers