KTVA-TV Web Editor
Posted on 2014-01-29
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
Web Editor - Requisition #3091.
- Purpose of Position: Gather information and generate original content for KTVA.com. Assist reports in writing news copy for KTVA.com, copy edit news stories from reporters and post to KTVA.com in a professional, compelling, creative and balanced manner, consistent with the goals and guidelines of Denali Media. Maintain a vibrant, informative and conversant social media presence on KTVA`s social media platforms.
- Reporting Relationships:
- Position reports to: Web Managing Editor and News Director
- Number of Direct Reports: 0.
- EEO: Responsible for fair and equitable treatment of people in the workplace.
- Disclaimer: The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, and responsibilities required of employees assigned to this job.
Essential Duties of Position:
- Assist reporters in gathering and delivering news and information in an accurate, objective and compelling manner for KTVA.com.
- Utilize exceptional copy editing skills, consistent with AP style, to produce original copy with flawless grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Write or edit headlines, sub-headlines and summaries for search engine optimization.
- Proactively use graphics, links and other online elements to add value to stories, while working closely with reporters to maintain stories` focus.
- Follow KTVA guidelines to maintain an interactive presence on social media platforms.
- Participate in story meetings.
- Be prepared for various shift work.
- Work holidays.
- Follow clothing and appearance guidelines.
- Work in a cooperative fashion with all other newsroom personnel.
Job Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to quickly learn intuitive content management software for posting stories to KTVA.com.
- Excellent newspaper-style reporting and writing skills are required.
- Ability to turn stories, particularly breaking news, and post them to the web in optimal form as soon as possible without sacrificing accuracy.
- Ability to use social media outlets for story and station promotion and public interaction.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have attention to detail.
- Knowledge of station guidelines and code of ethics.
- Must be technically astute, highly organized and have a reputation for meeting deadlines.
- Knowledge of AP ENPS newsroom computer system.
- Ability to learn intuitive proprietary video-clipping software for upload to website.
- Knowledge of MS Office and other common office tools software required.
- Ability to understand and quickly apply new technology.
- Knowledge of Photoshop and other graphics software tools.
- Knowledge of Hootsuite, Woobox and other social media applications for optimal social media presence.
- Strong verbal communication skills, particularly in the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization and the public.
- Must be able to reconcile divergent demands of multiple parties under tight timelines.
- Proven ability to collaborate within and outside assigned department and create an effective working environment for high traffic and/or potential stressful workloads.
- Excellent active listening skills with the ability to work effectively with technical and non-technical staff required.
- Self directed and takes the initiative on issues affecting the organization.
- Neat, clean, professional appearance when in the field.
- Years of Experience required to meet minimum qualifications: Two or more years as a print, online, or broadcast journalist required.
- Level of Education required to meet minimum qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor Degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Office Position: Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Hearing, vision, depth perception, and hand-to-eye coordination sufficient to perform job duties. Visual and auditory acuity necessary to operate equipment and identify color-coding.
- Working Conditions: Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Driving Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid driver`s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply go to: www.gci.com/careers