KTUU-TV Assignment Manager
Posted on 2014-01-03
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
KTUU, an award-winning station in Anchorage, Alaska, is seeking an Assignment Manager. We`re seeking someone with 2-5 years of broadcast news experience, with at least a year on the assignment desk, to recognize and track news stories, immediately determine coverage needs and assign/coordinate all news resources. This individual will also assist reporters in story set-up, help producers with story development, and coordinate photographer assignments and logistics as coverage needs demand. A Bachelor`s degree in Communications, Journalism, or a related field is preferred. A valid driver`s license, with a clean driving record, is required. The position offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package, including group health & dental, paid time off, 401(k) and more. KTUU is owned by a wonderful parent company, Schurz Communications, Inc., which owns television, radio, cable and newspaper properties throughout the country. Additional information on Schurz is available at www.schurz.com, and via the following video link: http://youtu.be/7OuMd2ikx7k
- Coordinate with Planning Manager and participate in editorial meetings.
- Create, gather, develop, confirm, and set up stories using multiple resources and platforms.
- Track and communicate development of news stories and events.
- Dispatch News teams to news stories.
- Prioritize daily assignments to best meet department goals.
- Post TV assignments in newsroom, providing specific details and updates for all assignments.
- Manage logistics for assignments.
- Answer telephone calls and emails from the public and viewers.
- Maintain planning calendar, as needed.
- Fill in for Planning Manager if necessary.
- Collaborate with Network Assignment Desks and other affiliates via phone and email, as needed.
- FTP and/or feed video to field teams, affiliates, sister stations and/or the Network, as requested.
- Post and update stories on the web.
- Communicate with the web staff during breaking news.
- Work ahead to prepare for the next days` events.
- Offer positive leadership as a member of the news team, working to continue the strategic and budgetary goals of the department.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Ability to write clearly and accurately.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrate solid news judgment.
- Maintain strong journalistic ethics; maintain professional and ethical conduct at the station and in the community.
- Strong initiative and attention to details.
- Computer skills, including newsroom systems, internet usage and word processing applications.
- Extensive knowledge of news-gathering operations and procedures.
- Advanced level knowledge newsroom software (ENPS).
- Basic knowledge of web-posting software & content management systems (P2P).
- Strong research skills, including conducting online research using various search engines.
- Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather.
- Advanced knowledge of social media & digital platforms.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Knowledge of television market, geography and issues.
- Ability to maintain multiple modes of communication and coordinate multiple issues during breaking news and other stressful situations.
- Willing to work flexible hours and work well with co-workers.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Demonstrate leadership through training and mentoring less-experienced staff members.
- Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please visit www.schurz.jobs and search Requisition Number KTUU1683 to learn more about the position and apply. NORTHERN LIGHTS MEDIA, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Offers of employment are contingent upon a pre-employment background check.