KTUU-TV Field Ops Mgr/Satellite Engineer
Posted on 2013-12-05
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
KTUU is owned by a wonderful parent company, Schurz Communications, which is headquartered in Mishawaka, IN. More information on Schurz is available here.
This position is responsible for overseeing and engineering live television remotes, planning and executing all field operation needs, and operating SNG/ENG broadcast equipment. The successful candidate will also be responsible for directing the Field Operations team to facilitate the set-up and production needs of all major remotes, live field broadcasts, coverage of specialized sporting events and specialized studio broadcasts. Position requires a CDL to operate KTUU`s satellite truck.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Operate SNG van and ENG truck as well as other related equipment
- Operate RF equipment
- Operate lights, cameras, wireless mics and all other essential equipment for live broadcasts, as needed
- Direct a production crew before, during and after live newscasts
- Anticipate/prepare for breaking news
- Troubleshoot and maintain broadcast equipment, creatively determine any needed solutions
- Install and train staff on new equipment
- React quickly and appropriately to any issues with equipment and breaking news
- Communicate issues with Operations and News staff, in detail, before and during all live newscasts or special programming.
- Work weeknight, weekend and/or weekday shifts, as needed.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Regular travel should be expected.
We`re seeking someone with 5 years or more experience as a Broadcast Engineer, preferably with supervisory experience. A valid driver`s license, with a good driving record, is required. A Bachelor`s degree or equivalent, including vocational school, is required.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of TV video production and related equipment.
- Knowledge of broadcast engineering, operations, satellites, RF and computer systems.
- Ability to plan, set-up and execute major field remotes and productions - including live News reports, specialized Sporting events and live political debates and election coverage.
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair electronic equipment at the component level.
- Extensive knowledge of TV broadcasting, including FCC rules and regulations.
- Ability to operate a Satellite and Production Truck.
- Ability to operate portable satellite equipment.
- Ability to give and follow written and verbal directions; able to communicate clearly.
- Able to operate both analog and digital/HD broadcast equipment, software, servers, audio/video routers, audio and video control consoles, satellite receivers, and television transmitters.
- Proficient use of computers, both PC and Mac.
- Able to handle high-stress situations and pressure deadlines.
- Able to react quickly and calmly to changing circumstances.
- Attention to detail.
- Must be licensed, insurable and able to operate station vehicles as needs and situations dictate.
- Must have appropriate D.O.T. license (CDL).
- Outstanding problem-solving and leadership skills.
- Travel required, including to very remote parts of Alaska.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision; initiative to address issues immediately.
- Able to work well with others in the department, as well as other departments.
- Must be flexible to work any shift including weekend, overnights and holidays.
- Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please visit the following web site: www.schurz.jobs and search Requisition Number KTUU1675 to learn more about the position and apply. NORTHERN LIGHTS MEDIA, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Offers of employment are contingent upon a pre-employment background check.