Posted on 2013-10-28
By WCPO-TV WCPO-TV 9
WCPO-TV, emmy-award winning telelvision station owned by The E.W. Scripps Company, is seeking a productive, resourceful multi-media journalist. The job requires strong on-air reporting, writing, and technical skills as well as an appreciation for and understanding of multi-platform journalism. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and have a track record of producing daily news stories and features of interest to local audiences. A minimum of 5-8 years of reporting experience is preferred, and at least two years is required.
The multi-media journalist is responsible for researching, writing, capturing visual content and editing general assignment stories for multiple platforms.
- Develop assigned stories from news leads.
- Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interview, observation and research.
- Organize material, determine slant or emphasis, and write story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Shoot video and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edit, or assist in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appear on television program when conducting taped interview or narration.
- Give live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Write and produce quality news stories for multiple media platforms.
- Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
- Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
- Assist online staff in preparing for multi media stories.
- Report, write, capture visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
- Demonstrate editorial judgment using knowledge of journalism ethics and libel laws.
- Perform other duties as assigned by news management.
- BS/BA in related discipline.
- Two to five years of experience in related field.
- Computer literacy, including newsroom computer systems. Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
- Ability to edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
- Possess strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Fully competent and productive professional contributor, working independently on larger, moderately complex projects/assignments.
- Perform full range of standard professional level work that typically requires processing and interpreting, more complex, less clearly-defined issues. Identify problems and possible solutions and take appropriate action to resolve.
- Nature of work requires increasing independence; receive guidance only on unusual complex problems or issues.
- Work review typically involves periodic review of output by supervisor and/or direct “customers” of the process.
- May provide general guidance or train junior level support and professional personnel.
- Possess and apply a broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of particular field of specialization to the completion of moderately complex assignments. Solid knowledge of organization’s technologies and practices.
- Possess a valid driver's license, good driving record and provide proof of insurability with company required insurance limits.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, and to sit, walk or stand for long periods.
- Overnight travel may be required and schedule may vary and include nights/weekends.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply online