KCAW-FM News Reporter
Posted on 2013-10-23
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
THE STATION AND THE COMMUNITY
Raven Radio is an eclectic, NPR/PRI/APRN member, community-licensed station. KCAW is a digital production facility. EEO. We serve eight communities with a total population of about ten thousand people. The station is located in Sitka, a historic and cultural town. Sitka is located on Baranof Island at the edge of the Gulf of Alaska. It is a remote and wild place with mild temperatures and about six feet of rain per year. Raven Radio`s commitment to local news is mandated by the corporation`s mission statement. SALARY AND CLASSIFICATION: This is a full time, permanent, and exempt position under federal and state labor law. Salary is based in a 40 hour work week. Salary range is $34,500 to $48,510. with competitive benefit plan.
- Research, write, and produce news and feature stories.
- Host news broadcasts, special events, assembly meetings, call-ins and live news coverage.
- Beat and assignment reporting: Crime & Courts, Municipal government, including elections, School board, school issues, and sports, Tribal Council, State and federal government; Fisheries.
- Feature reporting, as assigned.
- Feature and news photography, as assigned.
- Prepare stories for distribution to CoastAlaska, APRN, and NPR.
- Prepare stories for distribution via the KCAW website and social media.
- Maintain news archives and story files.
- Care for and maintain news equipment.
- Work with students and other news volunteers.
- Assist the training and mentoring of news department interns and fellows.
- Fill-in for News Director during absences.
- Other duties as assigned by the News Director.
- Experience as a reporter.
- Demonstrated skills in radio journalism, including excellent writing, news interviewing, audio production, and on-air delivery skills.
- Knowledge of the legal and ethical aspects of news reporting.
- Knowledge of Alaska and local issues, interests and trends.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure and with a minimum of supervision.
- Must work with other staff and the public in a professional and cooperative manner.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work flexible schedule.
- Attend staff meetings and other meetings as called by the General Manager.
- Contribute to Board and Staff reports as needed.
- Attend Staff and Annual Meetings.
- Assist in station on-air drives and other fundraising activities, as directed by the General Manager.
SUPERVISION/EVALUATION: Supervision is by the News Director. Evaluations will be made after 90 days of employment, thereafter annual evaluations on anniversary of hire.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit letter of interest, resume (including references), and links to published work to:
Robert Woolsey, News Director, KCAW-FM Raven Radio, 2 Lincoln Street, Suite B, Sitka, Alaska 99835. firstname.lastname@example.org. This position closes November 15, 2013. Electronic submissions are encouraged.