Posted on 2013-08-08
By KWCH and KSCW Schurz Communications Inc.
Do you enjoy operating behind the camera? Then this job is for you! Sunflower Broadcasting, Inc., consisting of KWCH-TV, KSCW-TV, and satellite stations KBSD-TV, KBSH-TV, KBSL-TV, is currently accepting applications for a full time photojournalist. The Photojournalist gathers and generates visual content for on-air and on-line by shooting video, editing video, and taking still shots.
This position requires 1-3 years of experience in shooting and editing and a bachelor`s degree in a journalism or a related field.
- Shoot news video that accurately and fairly represents news stories
- Edit video and audio for broadcast, promos, and teases
- Demonstrates sound news judgment and ability to tell stories with pictures and natural sound
- Must be able to utilize non-linear editing equipment on a daily basis
- Properly maintain camera, editing equipment, and station vehicle
- Must be a visual storyteller and have the ability to come up with creative stand-ups and ways to explain a story
- Communicate with reporters, writers, and producers on video needed for news stories
- Operate live ENG equipment and vehicles
- Write stories for on-air and on-line
- Keep track of edited news stories for broadcast, maintain archive
- Respond to breaking news or urgent newsroom situations
- Participates in story selection process through meetings; attendance at editorial meetings is required
- Responsible for ensuring all goals and objectives are being met and training sessions are attended
- Must demonstrate the drive to grow and learn as well as offer creativity every day.
- Ability to work well with co-workers and in a professional manner is required.
- Critique, feedback and training are part of the job
- Required to observe all safety regulations in house and when in the field.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
- Collect information by interviewing and taking notes (e.g. news conferences)
- Load raw video and still photos to the Web site
- Communicate with the newsroom staff during breaking news
- Write copy for the Web and newscasts after shooting VOs and VO/SOTs
- Manage storage space in video clip bins and maintain a still photo library
- Explore ways to increase visual content on the Web site
- Working knowledge of local geography and road routes is strongly preferred.
- Follow clothing and appearance guidelines
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Able to write and edit stories, work with reporters
- Capable of gathering information and interviews when necessary, conduct online research
- Able to communicate clearly
- Ability to shoot video in sequences and still photos that help tell the story for on-air and on-line
- Ability to edit video and still photos to match story for on-air or on-line
- Knowledge of lighting and use of natural sound
- Must possess the ability to shoot and edit on non-linear equipment and to adapt to new technology.
- Generate story ideas; identify potential stories; create and coordinate interviews
- Ability to condense large amounts of information and video into short stories for newscasts
- Must be able to operate Microsoft Windows software â
- Ability to operate news related software is preferred
- Must be able to work well under pressure with limited supervision and daily deadlines
- Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather
- Strong initiative and attention to detail is required
- Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment
- Understanding of and ability to follow and enforce the journalistic code of ethics
- Must be capable of working well with others in challenging work environments to produce the best product for the viewer.
- Prefer working knowledge of ENG trucks
- Must be able to operate station vehicles as the need and situation dictate.
- Working knowledge of web posting software
- Working knowledge of social media
- Must be capable of utilizing 3 point lighting or capable of learning the process.
- Prefer NPPA style photographer
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please visit the following web site to apply: http://www.schurz.com/careers/career-opportunities/?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=1518