Sports Multi-Media Journalist
Posted on 2013-03-25
By KWCH and KSCW Schurz Communications Inc.
SPORTS MULTI-MEDIA JOURNALIST
Sunflower Broadcasting, Wichita, KS (DMA)
Sunflower Broadcasting, Inc., consisting of KWCH-TV, KSCW-TV, and bureau stations KBSD-TV, KBSH-TV, and KBSL-TV, is currently accepting applications for a full-time Bureau Sports Multi-Media Journalist. Join one of the largest local sports teams in Kansas. TV, Web, Social Media; we do it all on multiple platforms and channels. We cover the pros & college, but high school sports is our bread and butter. Join the dominant news station in Kansas and work in a new, state-of-the-art newsroom.
The Sports Multi-Media Journalist writes, shoots and reports sports coverage with a compelling, easy-to-understand delivery. Coverage is on-air, live or taped, and on-line.
- Gather and provide news and information in the most accurate, appealing, timely and creative way
- Use writing skills for on-air and on-line
- Write and post web site stories prior to airing of the television version
- Demonstrate sound news judgment and ability to tell stories with pictures and natural sound
- Able to utilize non-linear editing equipment on a daily basis
- Must be a visual story-teller and have the ability to come up with creative stand-ups and ways to explain a story
- Able to cover live sporting events
- Develop and maintain sources
- Participate in story selection process through meetings; attendance at editorial meetings is required
- Attend/host/speak at community service, schools and community events; meet and greet viewers
- Various shift work will be required, as will holiday work
- Critique, feedback and training are part of the job
- Follow clothing and appearance guidelines
- Perform other duties as assigned
This individual must be able to tolerate wet, hot and cold weather conditions, and be able to walk and stand for extended periods while carrying equipment. The job requires a significant amount of kneeling, crouching, and stooping.
Essential Skills & Abilities:
- Be able to write clearly and accurately
- Must possess excellent interview and conversational writing skills
- Compelling story-teller
- Shooting and editing experience
- Able to create personalized stories
- Comprehensive understanding of sports and knowledge of sports news and athletes
- Ability to generate daily and enterprise story ideas
- Able to produce and post content to our websites
- Able to use social media outlets to engage viewers
- Must be able to work well under pressure and with limited supervision
- Strong initiative and attention to detail is required
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving in a manner that will mesh well with co-workers, supervisors and viewers
- Must hold a valid driver`s license and a good driving record
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please visit the following web site: www.schurz.jobs and search Requisition Number SUN1237 to learn more about the position and apply.