KTUU-TV Photojournalist/Live Van Operator
Posted on 2013-03-25
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
KTUU Anchorage, Alaska`s #1 News Station and NPPA 2012 West General Station of the Year, is seeking an experienced Photojournalist who has a passion for storytelling, visual media and breaking news. No other station in the country can compete with our sense of adventure! Whether you`re shooting video from the back of a moving snow machine or aerials via bush plane or helicopter, you`ll be working in a scenic environment incomparable to any other in the U.S. Sure, we cover local, regional and statewide news daily, but we also cover the famed Iditarod Sled Dog Race and the Iron Dog snow machine race each year, both traversing more than 1,000 miles across the rugged terrain of Alaska. We seek a proven Photojournalist who shares our mission to tell Alaska`s story, someone who can think outside the box to pitch and shoot stories involving memorable moments, unique live shots and creative reporter stand-ups. Candidates must be able to work well with others and on your own. Must be able to work a variety of shifts weekly. Operation of our ENG van and related equipment is also required. The position offers a competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefit package, including group health & dental, PTO and 401(k).
- Shoot news video that accurately and fairly represents news stories.
- Edit video and audio for broadcast, promos, and teases.
- Demonstrate sound news judgment and ability to tell stories with pictures and natural sound.
- Must be able to utilize non-linear editing equipment on a daily basis.
- Properly maintain camera, editing equipment, and station vehicle.
- Communicate with reporters, writers, and producers on video needed for news stories.
- Operate live ENG equipment and vehicles.
- Keep track of edited news stories for broadcast; maintain archive.
- Respond to breaking news or urgent newsroom situations.
- Collect information by interviewing and taking notes (e.g. news conferences).
- Responsible for ensuring all goals and objectives are being met, and training sessions are attended.
- Must demonstrate the drive to grow and learn, as well as offer creativity every day.
- Ability to work well with co-workers and in a professional manner.
- Observe all safety regulations in-house and when in the field.
- Upload raw video and still photos to the Web site.
- Communicate with the web staff during breaking news.
- Write copy for the Web and newscasts after shooting VOs and VO/SOTs.
- Manage storage space in video clip bins and maintain a still photo library.
- Explore ways to increase visual content on the Web site.
- Working knowledge of local geography and road routes is strongly preferred.
- Follow clothing and appearance guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
We`re seeking someone with 1-3 years of shooting and editing experience. A Bachelor`s in Journalism or a related field is required. A valid driver`s license, with a good driving record is also required. The position involves a three-year contract commitment. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Able to write and edit stories, work with reporters.
- Capable of gathering information and interviews when necessary; conduct online research.
- Able to communicate clearly.
- Ability to shoot and edit video in sequences and still photos that help tell the story for on-air and on-line.
- Knowledge of lighting and use of natural sound.
- Must possess the ability to shoot and edit on non-linear equipment, and to adapt to new technology.
- Generate story ideas; identify potential stories; create and coordinate interviews.
- Ability to operate news-related software is preferred.
- Must be able to work well under pressure with limited supervision and daily deadlines.
- Strong initiative and attention to detail is required.
- Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment.
- Understanding of and ability to follow and enforce the journalistic code of ethic.
- Must be capable of working well with others in challenging work environments to produce the best product for the viewer.
- Working knowledge of ENG trucks preferred.
- Must be able to operate station vehicles as the need and situation dictate.
- Basic knowledge of web posting software/CMS.
- Basic knowledge of social media.
- Must be capable of utilizing 3-point lighting or capable of learning the process.
- Prefer NPPA style photographer.
- Must be able to walk for extended periods while carrying equipment, carrying up to 75 pounds
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please visit the following web site: www.schurz.jobs and search Requisition Number KTUU1256 to learn more about the position and apply. NORTHERN LIGHTS MEDIA, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Offers of employment are contingent upon a pre-employment background check.