KTUU-TV Assignment Manager
Posted on 2013-03-12
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
KTUU, an award-winning station in Anchorage, Alaska, is seeking an Assignment Manager. The position offers a competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefit package, including group health, PTO and 401(k).
- Coordinate with Planning Manager and participate in editorial meetings.
- Create, gather, develop, confirm, and set up stories using multiple resources and platforms
- Track and communicate development of news stories and events.
- Dispatch News teams to news stories.
- Prioritize daily assignments to best meet department goals.
- Post TV assignments in newsroom, providing specific details and updates for all assignments.
- Manage logistics for assignments.
- Answer telephone calls and emails from the public and viewers.
- Maintain planning calendar, as needed.
- Fill in for Planning Manager if necessary.
- Collaborate with Network Assignment Desks and other affiliates via phone and email, as needed.
- FTP and/or feed video to field teams, affiliates, sister stations and/or the Network, as requested.
- Post and update stories on the web.
- Communicate with the web staff during breaking news.
- Work ahead to prepare for the next day` events. • Offer positive leadership as a member of the news team, working to continue the strategic and budgetary goals of the department.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
We`re seeking someone with 2-5 years of broadcast news experience, with at least a year on the assignment desk, to recognize and track news stories, immediately determine coverage needs and assign/coordinate all news resources. This individual will also assist reporters in story set-up, help producers with story development, and coordinate photographer assignments and logistics as coverage needs demand. A Bachelor`s degree in Communications, Journalism, or a related field is preferred. A valid driver`s license, with a clean driving record, is required.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to write clearly and accurately.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrate solid news judgment.
- Maintain strong journalistic ethics; maintain professional and ethical conduct at the station and in the community.
- Strong initiative and attention to details.
- Computer skills, including newsroom systems, internet usage and word processing applications.
- Extensive knowledge of news-gathering operations and procedures.
- Advanced level knowledge newsroom software (ENPS).
- Basic knowledge of web-posting software & content management systems (P2P)
- Strong research skills, including conducting online research using various search engines.
- Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather.
- Advanced knowledge of social media & digital platforms.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Knowledge of television market, geography and issues.
- Ability to maintain multiple modes of communication and coordinate multiple issues during breaking news and other stressful situations.
- Willing to work flexible hours and work well with co-workers.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Demonstrate leadership through training and mentoring less-experienced staff members.
- Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please visit the following web site: www.schurz.com/careers/career-opportunities/ and search Requisition Numbers KTUU1225 to learn more about the positions and apply. NORTHERN LIGHTS MEDIA, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Offers of employment are contingent upon a pre-employment background check.