KTUU-TV Morning Director/TD/Graphics
Posted on 2013-02-14
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
The Morning Director works in collaboration with the Morning PCR (Production Control Room) Supervisor and is responsible for many technical aspects of live news production, including daily coordination with the News Department and PCR staff to create a smooth, error-free on-air news product. The position offers excellent earnings potential, as well as a comprehensive benefit package, including 401(k).
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Knowledge of the various computers running production-related software, their interactions with each other and their functioning as part of an interconnected automation system.
- Ability to communicate with crew & talent accurately, quickly, efficiently, and effectively.
- Foster close teamwork and cooperation among PCR crew and between crew and News Department - serve as a communications gateway between Morning News Producers and PCR staff.
- Ability to operate and train others on all the PCR production equipment, requiring a working knowledge of various positions, including: Director, Technical Director, Chyron Operator, Audio Operator, Graphics Producer/Operator, Shading Engineer, Tape Operator/Digital Server Playout Operator, Live Van Operator, Studio/Remote Camera Operator, Floor Director, Tele-prompter Operator.
- Collaborate with PCR crew to ensure daily responsibilities are covered.
- Be a watchdog for the technical quality of the newscasts and work with management and engineering to find ways to improve and develop solutions to problem areas.
- Direct Live or pre-taped Morning News updates immediately following the Morning Edition newscast.
- Morning Newscast Production:
- Coordinate pre-production of any elements needed by the News department.
- Work with the Newsroom Producer to ensure the show rundowns are accurate for on-air execution.
- Utilizing Associated Press's Electronic News Production System (ENPS), and in partnership with the Assistant Director, build on-air playback commands via Media Object Server (MOS) commands for the various interfaced equipment per show requirements, including dropping specific codes into ENPS rundown that specify what channel video elements will appear in News Q Pro.
- Produce and create graphics to illustrate various News requests using the Paint system or equivalent.
- Double-check various Chyron codes are set to load in their correct channels.
- Clean up the rundown to ensure clear information exists for live shots and camera events.
- Begin dropping in Overdrive commands into scripts.
- Ensure final rundowns are printed and distributed by 4:30 a.m.
- On headset at 15 minutes to air (5:45 a.m.).
- Prepare switcher, robotic cameras, Chyron LEX and Overdrive system for air.
- Direct the newscast while operating the Overdrive automation system (equivalent of Technical Director, Playout Operator and Chyron Operator).
- Collaborate with News Producer to write and e-mail News Notes reports detailing any problems with the daily newscasts.
- Collaborate with Operations management to ensuring that qualified personnel are available throughout the morning shift to assist the News Department with anticipated and unanticipated technical needs, such as setting up an unexpected news update for breaking news, helping with a dub, etc.
- Assist in coordinating coverage of staff absences (primarily the responsibility of the Operations Manager).
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please visit the following web site:
www.schurz.com/careers/career-opportunities/ and search Requisition Numbers KTUU1162 to learn more about the positions and apply.
NORTHERN LIGHTS MEDIA, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Offers of employment are contingent upon a pre-employment background check.