KTUU-TV Night Assignment Editor
Posted on 2013-02-01
By Alaska Broadcasters Association Alaska Broadcasters Association
The Night Assignment Editor assigns and keeps track of news crews, listens to police scanners for breaking news information, calls news makers and authorities to gather details, updates the daily planner, keeps up with important court dates, answers the phones, and sorts and responds or forwards newsroom emails. Assignment Editors also write stories for air on TV and digital platforms as needed. The position offers excellent earnings potential, as well as a comprehensive benefit package, including 401(k).
Prioritize, organize, and assist with the editorial and production elements of newscasts.
- Responsible for calling and reacting to breaking news, as well as following up on news tips.
- Writing clearly, concisely and conversationally.
- Must maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and extensive list of local contacts.
- Research and brainstorm story ideas and articulate the ideas, so that others understand your vision for the story.
- Monitor other sites and our social media platforms for story ideas.
- Special emphasis on working with newsroom staff on story expectations, and being able to accurately gather information for news stories under pressure.
- Act as a leader in facilitating teamwork of staff members.
- Able to quickly, accurately and calmly handle decision-making processes.
- Post content into ENPS to the web site each day.
- Engage viewers using social media.
- Able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to write clearly and accurately.
- Able to listen to police scanners while carrying out other duties.
- Able to decipher valid news stories out of the information received from viewers; strong news judgment.
- Ability to generate story ideas.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, and the ability to work well with co-workers.
- Ability to handle and adjust accordingly to last minute changes.
- ¢Strong initiative and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with limited supervision is a must.
- Ability to keep up with national and local news/weather.
- Knowledge of how social media outlets work.
- Understanding of and ability to follow and enforce the journalistic code of ethics. We`re seeking someone with a minimum of 1 year of local television experience, or its equivalency through internships, with a degree in journalism or a related field.
- A valid driver`s license is also required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates please visit the following web site: www.schurz.com/careers/career-opportunities/ and search Requisition Number KTUU1142 to learn more about the position and apply. NORTHERN LIGHTS MEDIA, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.