Posted on 2013-01-02
By KOAT-TV Hearst Television
This is a hands-on position, gathering and compiling content from a variety of outlets, including the station newsroom, the Internet, wire services, social media, as well as traditional news sources for publishing on digital media. There is an emphasis on delivering breaking news and weather accurately and prioritizing user engagement with our multi-platform content offerings.
- Write and edit materials for target audiences integrating engaging and creative text, still images, audio- and video-file components, and links to relevant Internet resources into an appealing and thoughtful presentation for multi-platforms including online, mobile, tablet, and social media such as Facebook and e-mail.
- Provide continuous updating, revising and expanding of developing stories.
- Collaborate in building daily web & mobile content with station news management, reporters, photographers, assignment editors and producers.
- Coordinate, coach and involve the entire newsroom in the online processes for digital content production and social outreach on multiple platforms.
- Provide added content and social media value to reports initially developed by broadcast journalists.
- Provide digital content leadership in daily editorial meetings with an emphasis on content gathering and presentation that prioritizes immediacy, interactivity and integration on all digital and social platforms.
- Execute digital content plan on station-guided big events and major breaking news and weather.
- Provide digital content/social media/operations support to complement station programming, marketing and sales efforts.
- Execute company directed HTV digital initiatives (i.e. digital news gathering, product upgrades and social media.)
- Regularly participate in group-wide digital content discussions/meetings with emphasis on sharing digital efforts and concerns; rapidly communicate best practices to news management to appropriately prioritize execution.
- Prioritize the growth and engagement of online users and communities to capture content that emphasizes the `one-to-one` nature of the web. Integrate user generated content as part of `crowd sourcing` to complement our professional content.
- Preferably 3-5 years prior experience working for a television news station, daily newspaper or in a digital environment.
- Prior supervisory experience helpful.
- Demonstrated journalism background; strong news judgment; knowledge of legal and ethical issues in the digital media.
- Demonstrated social media background; knowledge of legal and ethical issues surrounding social media
- Highly developed digital skill set with experience in content management systems, HTML, and knowledge of coding for the web.
- Ability to work collaboratively with digital and broadcast journalists.
- Knowledge of editing and AP Stylebook standards.
- Ability to pass writing and editing test.
- Ability to convey complex subject matter clearly and engagingly.
- Ability to catch spelling errors without electronic assistance.
- Ability to manage time and meet multiple daily deadlines for various projects.
- Ability to be flexible in schedule to cover major and/or breaking news events.
- Ability to work with a positive attitude.
- Ability to work well in a multitasking environment with frequent interruptions, paying close attention to details.
- Preferably Bachelors in Journalism or related field.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send resumes to: SStephens@hearst.com
Position effective on Jan.1, 2013
Job posted by an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER