Posted on 2018-02-19
By KUNM Radio University of New Mexico
KUNM at the University of New Mexico is hiring one full-time Technical Journalist to report for the Public Health New Mexico project. Applicants must submit their application materials via the UNMJobs website. Applications to other third party job sites will not be considered. The Technical Journalist will initiate independent research, investigation, and story development in consultation with the News Director. They will write and prepare stories for broadcast and publication online. They will work as a member of the team to establish the nature and focus of stories and participate in determination of the general direction of the project.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working with the grant-funded public health team, plans story concepts and performs independent research and investigation in the development of reporting work.
- Analyzes researched information for quality of reporting, newsworthiness, and relevance to subject matter; interprets and synthesizes information into articles as appropriate.
- Creates, writes, edits, and prepares broadcast and online content on a range of subject matters relevant to the general direction of the project.
- Participates in decision-making regarding the general direction, focus, scope, and format of project work.
- Collaborates with content partners (other radio stations, online and print journalists, data specialists) on joint projects and efforts to broadly disseminate KUNM work.
- Keeps abreast of issues and trends within public health, poverty and related fields.
- May host long-form live or pre-recorded broadcasts related to public health and poverty topics.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelors degree; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
Preferred Qualifications: Preference for in-depth knowledge and experience reporting on Hispanic/Latino and/or Native American cultures, communities and constituencies Preference for high degree of fluency in conversational Spanish Preference for experience with investigative and enterprise journalism Valid drivers license.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered, applicants MUST submit a resume, a cover letter and links or files for 3 writing, video and/or audio samples. If needed send samples to firstname.lastname@example.org Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit application online via UNMJobs. https://unm.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=3604
Job posted by an Equal Opportunity Employer